Staying on top of regular maintenance keeps your vehicle running better for longer. Glenwood Auto are Trusted Saskatoon Auto Repair Experts, and we're ready to help you with all your maintenance needs. In our latest auto blog, we discuss taking care of your car in summer.
Caring for Your Car in Summer
Summer is the prime time for road trips. Before hitting the road this summer, you can take several simple precautions to keep your family safe and save money at the pump. Extreme heat and long drives can be tough on cars. Cracked hoses, leaky radiators, under-inflated tires and dirty filters can significantly lower your fuel efficiency, or worse, lead to a total breakdown.
Check the following vehicle components periodically during summer to help avoid breakdowns and car problems:
- Check the electrical system to make sure it is charging correctly by checking the battery terminals.
- Be sure to do a pressure test, thermostat test, cooling fan test and visual inspection for leaks and corrosion annually.
- Check hoses and drive belts for cracks, bulges or frayed edges.
- Keep the radiator clean by using a garden hose and soft brush to remove bugs, dirt and debris.
- High temperatures put added stress on tires in the summer. Check the tire condition and inflation pressure monthly,
- And don’t forget about the exterior of the vehicle. Wash your vehicle weekly to protect the paint and finish, and wax every six months.
Preparation is a key to handling the harsh summer heat. Following these simple tips will help your vehicle to perform its best this summer. Not only will you and your vehicle be better prepared to survive the heat, but you’ll also make the most of your summer by enjoying the freedom that a well-cared-for car can offer. If you need some expert help or advice, book an appointment with our auto service experts!